PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low flying question
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2007, 12:58
xrdbear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In our neck of the woods it's illegal to cause stock to stampede at worst, and damned inconsiderate at best. It does sound like he was a bit stuck for the most obvious or best approach path (they can hover straight down to a landing, but it's very dangerous to do that, and generally approach at anything between about a 3 and a thirty degree angle) and unfortunately, best on the day might have been over your house.
This is the first helicopter to land here in the 3 years we have been here. It's also the first since the present owners of the hotel arrived. I suspect they never gave the pilot much idea where to land or how to approach, he made 2 low circuits before coming over us to land. It was calm and sunny and there is in fact a clear direction in which he could approach and I'm glad to say he used it when the aircraft left this morning. I will have a word again with the hotel and ask them that they make it clear where the best approach is from. There is a rather famous and obvious range of mountains on Skye and if they simply approach from that direction there should be no problem.
Thanks for the comments markjoy
Brian