PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 5
Thread: MANCHESTER - 5
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2007, 23:59
FlyZB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem with the LCC's at MAN is that they're not expanding services at the same rate as FR and EZY at their bases. I think if easyjet or Ryanair were to open a base at Manchester, then we would see more rapid route expansion than the current Loco's have to offer.

Bmibaby are a waste of time. They've made it clear that they are not willing to commit to expansion at MAN and are happy to focus on Birmingham instead. Monarch Scheduled seem content on sticking with 'bucket and spade' destinations. Jet2 have shown a decent level of commitment but their winter timetable leaves a lot to be desired, with many routes either dropped or significantly reduced. Thomsonfly are the only airline at the moment that seem to be showing any sort of desire to expand operations on a year round basis.

I do agree that Loco's probably aren't the answer. More long haul carriers need to be attracted in order for the airport to increase revenue and improve its services but this is proving to be extremely difficult at the minute. Although having said this, the demise of charter flights means that attracting a big Loco operation wouldn't do any harm. Either one of the existing LCC's at MAN needs to pull their finger out (possibility of FlyBE coming up with the goods?) or the airport needs to try and attract FR or EZY to open and expand a base. The latter I really can't see happening any time soon.