PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jaguar Farewell
Thread: Jaguar Farewell
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2007, 05:45
JagRigger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I must admit the way the Coltishall wing /base closure occurred left a bad taste in the mouth. This just takes things a stage further.

The complete lack of foresight and apparent stumbling from one cutback to another, messing around the 'troops', bases and local communities is shameful. This has continued to the 'official' release of the closure announcement at such short notice.

The Jag force was an almost unique element - something of a hangover from WW2 almost, with its friendly, 'can-do' attitude and ability to produce results. I suspect much of this was from Coltishall itself - a small, flightline based setup, where everyone knew everyone else and could walk to see them in 5 mins ( ok dumpies, I'll ignore you ) The aircraft helped too of course. No electronics to tell you it was U/S meant the ability to make 'engineering decisions' and put up aircraft when other more modern types were sat on the tarmac.

21 years on type - I'll miss it - but I'm glad I bailed out with Coltishall - fond memories and I'm not sure I want to associate myself with the farcical withdrawal that will see this proud machine thrown away to save what is effectively peanuts – whilst next week the government will doubtless give a million to it’s latest worthy cause.