PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SID v. radar departure question
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2007, 14:38
IRpilot2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SID v. radar departure question

The other day I departed from Friedenshafen (EDNY), on one of the show days so quite busy, SEP, for the UK, on an IFR (airways) flight plan filed (and CFMU approved) for FL150. ATC was busy mixing VFR and IFR deps, getting everybody off as fast as they could.

The departure clearance was something like "1 whisky departure, squawk 2665".

This caught me a little by suprise, since the arrival was a RV ILS, the departures were obviously RV (via Zurich) so while I had all the SIDs on my kneeboard, I wasn't expecting one of them. I also wasn't expecting one that took me in the exact opposite direction to (and didn't join up with) the filed route!

So it looks like ATC sometimes give you a SID to get you going for a bit, knowing that you will be handed over to a radar unit soon.

Q1: Is this the case where the radar is being provided by another airport's ATC (as in this case) or could it happen anywhere even where there is radar on the airport?

The SID takes you out on the runway track till 4D from the VOR (there is no DME on the EDNY ILS, as far as I could tell) and then you turn left, right back towards another VOR, something like 079 inbound.

When I was handed over to Zurich, I was told "climb FL 80". I read it back as "climb FL80 on the heading" and this was not queried.

Q2: Should I have flown the SID, climbing to FL 80?

I know that e.g. Jersey want you to fly the SID, climbing to the assigned level as you track it. But in this case Zurich clearly did not want me to track the SID assigned by EDNY. I assumed they would probably want me to just hold the heading since the radar service was being provided by a different ATC unit.

Is this a genuine ambiguity, sloppy ATC, or a sloppy pilot?