PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hi Vis Jackets
Thread: Hi Vis Jackets
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2007, 20:05
SRENNAPS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember being at TLP, Florennes a few years ago. It was a mass launch of all of the aircraft; the climax of the exercise. The Jengo and I were stood at the top of the line watching the crew-in with great excitement.
I said to the Jengo the following:

“Look at that. The Americans, immaculate in their dark combats with rank and name badges. Professional in their hand signs and salutes. The Germans, again immaculate, German flags on the arms of their jackets. The Italians and French dressed in blue uniforms, extremely smart and professional looking. The Portuguese with their special blue uniforms and gold rank & name badges - highly impressive.
And here on the end of the flight line we have the British – dirty minging and worn out overalls with the arses hanging out of them and grubby crumpled up Hi Vis vests – they look like a bunch of railway workers – not professional airman doing a high profile task in front of other nations ”.

I am not against H&S, on the contrary I think it is essential for a safe working environment. Hi–Vis vests are vital in certain areas. However, when it comes down to Risk Assessment I do think we have lost the plot.