PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Multi Crew Pilots Licence (MPL)
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2007, 14:29
Erin Brockovich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alteon and other training providers don’t really care or believe that their ‘pilot’ pilot sausage factory (as in preliminary) graduates will be better prepared for the right hand seat of a jet. It is just a business, and they have found a potential market – the growing airline industry. Cash is king I’m afraid.

I wouldn’t want to be a passenger on a flight where the Captain keels over with a heart attack, and all that is left up the front is a 300hr MPL graduate. Scary thought. Throw in a diversion due fog on arrival for good measure and kiss your @rse goodbye!

I also think comparing the MPL program to military pilot training is a bit of a stretch. Your cheque book certainly won’t get you your ‘wings’, and you won’t see most of your class mates fail either.

Safety comes from experience; flight experience comes from successfully completing flight maneuvers and tasks in real time without assistance.
Yes, safety does come from experience. However, flight experience comes from dealing with real in-flight problems by yourself. You can train a monkey to successfully complete ‘supervised unassisted’ flight manoeuvres in real time, but that doesn’t give it experience!

On second thoughts, they do only pay us peanuts.