PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAM
Thread: MAM
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2007, 10:23
smartalec888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink All the answers

Hi guys, just thought I'd clarify as much informatin that has been posted here regarding MAM recruitment and Brisbane...

I recently attended a MAM recruitment day in Brisbane (held on 16/4/07) so fairly recent. There were two recruitment days held (one on 16/4 & 17/4). There were 36 people exactly at both days. You are shortlisted to attend these days (so people who don't have the required documents usually aren't invited). There are limited positions to each of the days and the bookings manager openned at 8am the following day upon receiving the initial invite to the recruirment day. From what I remember, I registered @ 8am the following morning and obviously got the 'invite' however I did check back later that morning around 10:30 and it said that there were not more positions... so it does fill up quickly...

For you Brisbanites out there, it was held at Eagle Farm racecourse (no they didn't race us), started at 8.

It started off with document & height checking which took a long time... then we learnt more about the company and then straight off into the group activity which was to solve something (i'm not giving it away, it is used in the same MAM days in the other cities). It was then breaktime where morning tea was provided. Then we filled out application forms and personality tests. Finally it was onto the individual role play... where you are in a room with a QANTAS f/a (in uniform) and a MAM assesser who monitors you... then its lunch time... you receive a text message if you're successful or not (if successful there's an interview time) if not it just says thanks but no thanks...

I was not successful... about 10 were successful.. those 10 I NOTE did not fit the mould that I had in my head (ie: perfect grooming, manners, clean skin, physically healthy ect). It was interesting that all the people who have been f/a's before did not get it either (they were all young 20 somethings, had imaculate hair+makeup+clothes, great personalities very likeable and worked for great airlines like Emirates, Virgin Blue, British Airways ect ect). So the 9 or so people that were accepted to the behavioural interview were not what you'd expect, two didn't have combed hair with ill fitted suits and srsly bad acne, fatties... it was as if the people who shouldn've got through did... my opinion anyway.

Also, in the MAM communication email it did say they are recruing in Brisbane again in August and December...

I also must MENTION that you are employed by MAM not QANTAS which means:
- no staff travel
- no access to staff credit union
- no possible promotion
- casual only (no paid leave, sick leave, annual leave, parental/maternal leave)
- pay is $27/hr + overnights, more if you speak of the Asian persuasion

QANTAS contracts f/a's from MAM as a cost cutting strategy, which is understandable considering the company's debt is 90% of the actual value.

Also Lisa Robertson (ex QANTAS f/a, aka slept with Ralph Feinnes was a MAM'er)

Hope this answers all your questions/queries/concerns... feel free to ask me any other questions regarding the recruitment day about the group interview & behavioural interview.