PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Nelson
Thread: Air Nelson
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2007, 08:12
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cloud Cutter

Not trying to shoot anybody down, don't get that idea. Simply conveying a different viewpoint!

It is certainly a pass/fail item on all of our checks (as some have unfortunately discovered). Of course, the check captain's understanding of what constitutes good CRM is another issue.
Well, how can it be a pass/fail item if you have no standard assessment criteria? If one check captain has his or her own particular view of what CRM is and how it should be assessed, you have a serious standardisation issue. That is just about as bad as having no CRM training at all... it has to be evenly taught and applied.

As you put it, "the one man band approach that has been prevalent in the past" has persisted 20 years after Euro airlines saw the light, and changed. Maybe it is getting better now, but only because the airlines have been dragged locking and screaming into the 21st century (mainly by the demands of the increasingly weird CAA and fear of litigation).

My last look at the aviation scene was last year, and I agree that change is (finally) taking place, but only when the airlines are forced to change, and then reluctantly.

BTW you may have noticed that it isn't just me that holds these opinions...

nosegear

In order to be bitter, I would need to have either worked for them, or want to work for them. Neither is true.

I would hazard a guess that most of your new hires have on the order of 250 hours, so just flying a small plane is still a bit challenging, let alone in a crew enviroment in a jet. Paying attention in their MCC course probably has nothing to do with it.
And you would be completely wrong. Most of the failures had 1500 - 2000 hours of GA experience, all single crew, and they simply couldn't adjust. Most of them did as you suggested on their MCC course - sank piss - to further demonstrate their professionalism. The problem was that, not only did they fail their type rating courses, they couldn't understand why.

While I was in the training department, we took about 20 cadets with 250 hours, directly into the right seat of the 146. Not ONE of them failed.

NZ IF time, its just for the newbies, stop being paranoid.
Complete nonsense. If it was just meant for noobs, it would not specify "NZ" IF time. IF time is IF time, NZ is PANS OPS II and ICAO, there is virtually no real difference between IF here or IF anywhere in Europe, other than a few local procedures. It is designed to weed out the returning Kiwis and foreigners. More to the point, as I have already said, the Chief Pilot at the time the rule came in TOLD me it was invented for that reason.

The rest of your post, well, if BS were gold...