PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - safety question
Thread: safety question
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2007, 10:20
kiwiblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When in a hole, a wise man STOPS digging...

Originally Posted by pyote
and so where are you going to fly with 1.5 hours fuel. If you want an hours reserve??? Please we all fly them with 4 hours of fuel and more...
Oh Please Pyote, get over yourself. We do not all fly them with 4 hours fuel at all. That is sheer nonsense. At 4 hours fuel, you would be operating at or very near to full-tanks all the time... I don't think so. The Islander was never designed with that length of leg in mind -nor was my bladder!. It's strength lies in its ability to haul a good load of pax or freight short distances.

An example or two of some of the places I have worked them:

RPT operation, crossing 32NM to an island. Usual load, 9 pax & 15Kg luggage allowance each. Total return flight time 0.7 hrs. Usual fuel load 1.5 hrs.

Unscheduled scenic flight operation. Usual load 9 pax, minimal (hand) luggage. Leg 1: 0.7 hrs, Leg 2: 0.5 hrs. Usual fuel load 2.2 hrs.

Ambulance flights. Usual load: 2 crew (if IFR), 2 attendants (Dr. & nurse) patient on stretcher, necessary medical equipment and aircraft stretcher kit. 2 destinations, flight time 0.9 hrs or 2.2 hrs, Usual fuel load: Full fuel.

As you will see from those fuel figures, I'm partial to carrying a bit of 'Mum & the Kids' fuel too!

The only place off the top of my head that I can thing of a full-fuel load being usual for a BN-2 would be something like a CoastWatch operation. In virtually every other operation the fuel load is appropriate to the operation being conducted, optimising pax/freight payload, as it is for every other GA operation and airframe I can think of!

Your suggestion of everyone carrying full fuel all the time is peurile.