PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The end of oil and aviation?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2007, 00:19
SASless

Received 554 Likes on 224 Posts
Mad,
I agree with you and would go so far as to do away with petrol fueled vehicles and allow only diesels. The VW Jetta diesel gets 54-55 mpg which is a very good step in the right direction. Add in the German engineering and it is a very good auto.

To show how easy it is to improve the efficency of our diesel Pickup trucks....all one has to do is buy an after market programmer and with a few clicks of a hand held computer device and the engine can be improved.
I did mine and and gained three miles per gallon straight off the bat as well as another 120 shp and 220 foot pounds of torque. The low speed torque was greatly improved. To get more effect all I have to do now is change the air filter system with a bolt on Mod and there will a further increase in both torque and horsepower.

I opted for the "big" truck so I can pull a Caravan or cargo trailer and operate within the MAUW limits for the truck.

I will admit that it is a blast to kick 525 Horses in the butt every now and then.....and use 800 pounds of torque for what it was designed.

Perhaps I am still a borderline "Redneck" in that regard....just as I enjoyed turning loose multiple thousands of horses when flying a Chinook.