PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AirSea Lines (UK Seaplanes to fly once more)
Old 22nd Apr 2007, 07:13
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts
HotDog,

Non of those locations could really be construed as "remote" could they?. The A55 serves all of them as do the rail links to Holyhead and Porthmadog. True, the road from Caernarfon to Porthmadog is a pain at times---but Caernarfon already has a GA field so why fly into the marina area ?. I am not being negative here, it's that I just cannot see the viability of the operation into areas that are already well served for access--Summer congestion apart I agree---which brings us back to remote locations of course--and the sea state. Out of interest, for those who are experienced in such operations, just what is the sea state criteria for landing / take off please?.

The viable operation is the one that BEagle mentions---for obvious reasons as anybody who tries to get into London and the surrounding area (s) would confirm--but "remote" locations in North Wales would surely be a non starter in terms of loads and revenue generation---other than those who wish to pay for a unique --in the UK at least--means of flying. Then of course there is the proposition to fly to the Lake District. I think, given the constraints on just about anything that moves in the area, the term "problematic" may be a classical understatment here.

Yes, it would be nice to see the operation suceed, however, I feel it's potential is slim and frought from the onset. Nice to be proved wrong of course-----however.