PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not so great news for an 18 year old
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2007, 17:08
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beechgal,

I have no idea how old you are or what your circumstances are. However, if you have something to fall back on that will earn you a living, you're not taking that huge a risk in trying for a career as a pilot. But do you really, really want to? Do you really, really want to spend your whole life worrying about the next medical? Especially as you probably have a higher than average chance of some medical condition stopping you from flying at some point, even if you're OK now. Is it really worth it?

I'm not sure, but I get the feeling your enthusiasm is for aviation as a whole rather than flying. OK then. As Genghis suggests, become an aeronautical engineer. Or a microlight instructor - you don't need a Class 1 medical for that. Or run a flying school, or an airfield. Or do something else related to aviation and management. Or become a groundschool instructor. Or an aviation writer. Or an aviation salesman. Or.....an aviation something-or-other that I haven't heard of yet. There are all sorts of aviation-related things you can do, other than sitting in a cramped cockpit flying from A to B all day -or night - long.

I don't know if that's 'uplifting', but hopefully it makes sense.