PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Leaves CO for CX...
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2007, 07:20
Rice bowl licker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrong. If you take the rental assistance as cash or have the company pay off your mortgage in Hong Kong it is 100% taxable at the highest marginal tax rate of 19%. If you take the rental assistance and register the rental property with the company you pay additional tax that is equivalent to 10% of your gross income at the highest marginal rate, i.e. 19%.
You're kidding, 19% MAX tax? those poor Cathay pilots, can't think of any airlines in the U.S. who make a housing allowance available to their flight crews. It all goes to the top. Even if they did, the highest marginal rates in California are so high it's almost cheaper to file for bankruptcy.
I think the idea that you'll get something at all to offset cost of living underscores tremendously, the value in working at CX.

Only those on a base will receive an additional 15.5% of their gross income in cash for them to invest for retirement. If you are based in Hong Kong it will be invested in the company’s provident fund. You will have no choice as to who manages it.
Fair cop, I don't pretend to work for Cathay but I figured I got the info straight from the horse’s mouth. Allegedly (thanks 404) if you’re based in Hong Kong you have no choice in where to put your retirement so cross your fingers.
Like most everyone else in the world, my retimrement & health care benefits are deducted straight out of my paycheck every single month.
What volatile FX market are you talking about? If you are from any other country like me, Australia, my take home pay in Australian dollars has dropped more than 40% in the last five years.

The statement contradicts itself...
Evidently at least someone else besides me viewing this thread knows how volatile FX markets really are. Based in NYC? I'd leave CO for CX anyday. Good luck, Mark Skid.
~R~