PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Financial aid for CPL(H)
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2007, 07:10
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These guys all tell it like it is. They aren't putting down the industry; they're simply being honest.

I realised recently I wouldn't change my instructing job for anything. But do you you want to know when and how I realised it?

I had a great summer in 2006. It was my first one instructing fulltime. I'd been doing it part time for three years, but with my second string (research and writing) not doing well, and flying schools promising me the earth, why not do more? I turned down writing work...more fool me! I worked all the hours I was asked. Social life? Forget it.

Come winter, and suddenly flying work dried up. Any gratitude for working all those weekends and evenings in the summer? Of course not - "sorry, don't know where all the students are, and we've sent all the helicopters off for maintenance".

So I took on more writing, but still couldn't make ends meet...and I'm single and the mortgage is paid off, so I don't need a lot really. Well, I have a lot of skills hidden away (been living a long time) and a lot of contacts, so I bit the bullet and got a "proper" job - marketing for a local company, 1 -2 days a week, whenever I like, to fit around flying. Perfect, isn't it? Yes......and totally, mind-numbingly boring! It was so long since I'd had a "normal" office job that I'd forgotten. The first week I was desperate for my lunch hour, just to get out and breathe some fresh air and see the sky. But it got easier, I got used it, it helped pay the bills, and I used someone else's coffee and heating all winter.

But it reminded me just what "normal" working life is like. So I wouldn't change my instructing job - when I have one - for anything. But that's not the point - it shouldn't have to be like that!!!!!