PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Financial aid for CPL(H)
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2007, 06:49
helimutt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Listen to those here who speak the truth. ie Chukkablade, VeeAny, Whirlygig.
I worked for a small company (since gone bust, surprise, surprise) as a part time instructor. Actually two companies the same when I think about it. The owners both told me not to tell potential PPL/CPL/FI takers who walked through the door, exactly what the costs were, and they always quoted a figure of 'oh, around 45-50k' to get to CPL/FI. I found this a bit sad as I spent £110k on my training to date.(including IR)
I would never have made enough to live on from flying alone as an Instructor (I don't feel I was that good an instructor anyway) and was lucky enough to have other things to do. Plus a wife who backed me 100%.
Yes we do this job mainly for the love of it (I think? ) but the financial rewards are not as great as we wish they could be.
I just know that for the first time in years, i'm getting up in a morning looking forward to going to work (is it work?) and the money isn't even a factor. ps, Just started working NS!
There are opportunities for a fresh CPL holder to be sponsored by the North Sea companies through IR/type ratings etc but not as many as some would have you believe, ie the training providers.
My only advice to those wishing to pursue a career in Helicopter flying, do your homework, visit as many places as you can and speak to as many people as you can. Get a total overall feel for the industry at the time. Whatever you do, don't just pitch up at the first school you find in 'Flying' magazine and expect to hear the absolute truth.
In the last 6 months, one NS operator took on some 300hr guys in their early twenties, with no other experience and paid for IR's. Right place right time? Sure, but this industry can definitely keep you guessing and bankrupt you at the same time.