PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Financial aid for CPL(H)
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2007, 21:44
VeeAny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whirly

Initially i thought your 70K estimate (280*250) way off, but I've just put together a spredsheet which assuming

250 / hr training rate
30 per ppl exam
180 / hr self fly hire
1950 for CPL school
62 per cpl exam
150 ppl test fee
680 cpl test fee
180 for test hire
250 per hour for fi course
1 * FI Test at 300
2 hrs for FI Test Hire
Costs 64000 + VAT

It is available here ->http://www.griffin-helicopters.co.uk/public docs/heli cost to fi.xls

So you are actually not far off (you are cheaper)

Chucka has some valid points particularly that anyone who tells you all is rosy probably has a vested interest (my words not his). I wouldn't have let anyone stop me from doing what I wanted to do, nor would most of the pilots I know. But thats not a justification for letting someone rip you off.

Most people I know in this industry WANT to be in it , which means they are sometimes taken advantage of, even when they get to a professional level.

It is unfortunate that people who have been in the industry for a while put it down, but they do so for a reason. Generallly I think because of the way SOME of them have been treated, by some of the more unscruplous operators.

However

Would I swap my job for anything? No I Would Not
Do I owe some people for getting me where I am ? Yes I Do
Can you put a figure on that debt ? No I Don't believe I can
Has everyone I have worked for been a decent and honest chap ? No they haven't (But they'll telll you they are).
Do I deserve to have helicopter companies treat me like they would if i was buying double glazing (no offence to double galzing salesmen), No I don't.

So my personal opinion is that some people will tell you it can be done cheap, generally it can't. If you get a good deal for paying up front , good on you, but get a directors guarantee that if the company goes down. They'll pay you back personally , then I think you are PROBABLY fairly safe (unless they are willing to go Bankrupt themselves).

As to sponsorship the only things that seem available are the Dennis Kenyon Jr Scholarship (Up to PPL). And the GAPAN FI(R) recently discussed here. Some NS companies have recently sponsored IR(H)s but that usually comes about the after individual has spent 45k+ to get a CPL(H).

Don't get me wrong I try and supoprt everyone I meet to get into the industry, but doing so with rose tinted glasses is a mistake.

Do it with a realistic view on things and GOOD LUCK to you.

V.

Last edited by VeeAny; 19th Apr 2007 at 04:25.