PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR departures always requires a SID?
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2007, 21:00
flyinGuppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After your answer I tried some more research about IFR departures and I found the following:

"Where a Normal Departure Procedure can be used, obstacle and terrain clearance is assured provided the pilot conducts his departure in the following manor:

Cross the departure end of the runway out of at least 35 feet Above Ground Level (AGL)
Climbs to at least 400 Above Aerodrome Elevation (AAE) before making any turn
A climb gradient of at least 200 feet per nautical mile is maintained until reaching the minimum IFR altitude for en route operations
There are many cases where this kind of departure procedure cannot be accomodated. We'll look at some examples of each below and how and where they're normally published."

At Pico, at least departing from rwy 27 you would need a climb gradient of roughly 277 feet per nautical mile to clear the biggest obstacle. So we can’t have a normal departure. Under VFR I assume there's no problem, but what about IFR, do we need a published departure or not? I guess that's the real question, since SID's can incorporate obstacle clearances as well.