PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question re Flight Following
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2007, 01:58
vh_ajm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I remember of the information package that was sent out about 12-18 months ago...
Flight following is an on-going Traffic Information Service to VFR aircraft outside controlled airspace within SSR radar coverage. Can also be used for navigation assistance. Is subject to ATC workload etc etc.
Is started on request available and ATC advise "XXX identified". Can be terminated by pilot or ATC by phrase "Radar Services (or Identification)Terminate" (for pilot. During that time you're meant to maintain 2 way communiaction with ATC.
My understanding about SAR requirements is that you are not necessarily subject to SARWATCH by ATC. However if you do not respond to radio calls by ATC under flightwatch a SAR phase MAY be declared. This is why flight following should be cancelled where 2 way comms cannot be maintained (switching to CTAF).
Additionally, if you nominate a SARTIME on your flightplan then it remains valid as it is kept by CENSAR and not ATC. If you request and subsequently cancel flight following, a SARTIME nominated to CENSAR will remain active.
So not respoding to ATC means you are not contactable under SARWATCH and you can expect a phone call. Likewise busting your SARTIME will trigger alarms at CENSAR and make your phone ring if you go past that.
Like I said, this is how I remember from the publication some time ago. Oh and I'm not a controller. If there is anything I have incorrectly posted, my apologies and look forward to being corrected...politely.

Oh and the traffic information is supplied based on what you tell ATC you are doing. Because you're outside controlled airspace you can still do whatever you want. I usually advise ATC if I am about to do anything different so that they can see if they need to pass me traffic. This means I do not rely on them noticing I am doing something different and getting them off-guard.

Cheers.

Last edited by vh_ajm; 18th Apr 2007 at 02:03. Reason: Last paragraph