PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAM Conditions
Thread: MAM Conditions
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2007, 02:17
Bla_Bla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nothing personal, unfortunately its the system

Doofus:
not sure where to start here; but first of all, I'd like to mention that its not personal, we r all adults here right? its not A X B X C, its the system. I agree with a few of ur points and disagree with others.
What everybody seems to be forgetting ( A's, B's and C's ) is that what MAM offers is a CASUAL job. Assuming that u r a B contractor, it says on ur contract that u have to provide the company with 12 days and the company has to give u only 3 AV spans. hasnt the company been doing that ??? I understand that ur hours like many other contractors have been reduced. Just a few things to keep in mind: this is a ruthless industry and a ruthless company, that changes faster than u can say F*@k ! and a company that couldnt care less about rewarding its employees, because they have hundreds of wannabes banging their heads on the door to get a job.
Im a C contractor, left a well paid FT job ( shift work as well ) to become a FA. My lifestyle hasnt changed a bit ! well, i guess a little bit, cause im much rather do a MEL-SYD-MEL ( 4.5 hours duty ) than spend 9.5 hours sitting on my butt in a crazy office working environment. having said that, Im having a ball !!! loving it ! You just have to adapt yourself, not saying that its heaven, no, far form it , but u have to do what suits u ! the problem I find it is that everybody wants to have a FT living out of a casual job ( where the income as well as the hours fluctuate more the Qantas share price lately ! ).
Now in re to (...)"Many of the contract C crew are getting 1 day at home out of 13. Great if you have no family,friends and don't care about feeling unwell."(...), this mth out of my 20 days I only have 1 single overnight. I guess it varies a lot from base to base.
All contracts have its pros and cons, but as a B contractor u have an awesome flexibility of getting another job as oppose to the C contractors. Once again, u have to do what works for u, if u dont wanna swap contracts, than get another job, its all about CHOICE. u choose to stay, go with the flow, or so be it. I have spoke to a number of B contractors, including a few close friends, that will turn around and say, " I dont wanna give up on my weekends ", well u have chosen to work in a industry that works 24X7 , 365 days of the year, well so be it !
I understand that thre is a huge discrepancy in between the allocated hours, amongst all of us. I know B's that provide the company with 24 available days per mth, and 1 will get 50-60 hours at the end of the mth and another that will get 140-160 . I agree that its not fair, apparently they are working on that ! id like to mention that this sort of discrepancy also happens amongst the C contractors. thats they way it is, lets hope that a new fair system will take place soon.
Now. I hear a lot out online that a lot of C contractors are resigning, I have been online for a number of mths and I only know ( officially ) of 1 girl that has resigned.
Since the company has to provide the C's with 20 allocate working duties, it makes sense that they allocate the duties to them first, since they only has to LEGALLY provide the B's with 3 AV SPANS. I understand that all the B's were in the past able to make awesome money but again, as mentioned before " this is a ruthless industry and a ruthless company, that changes faster than u can say F*@k ! ", sorry but its reality.
Honestly, if u want to stay in this industry, change to C contract, its really not all that bad. Dont wanna get into politics here, but as u mentioned, the C contract is an unfair contract, and thanks to Mr Howard, companies like MAM, can get away with employing casuals with a FT commitment but without all the trimmings....... But at the end of the day Im here because I chose to be here.
In re to ur last quote “I find it hard to believe any full-timer works harder than a casual...What planet are you from?.It seems you think you are far superior to casual crew!”. i believe it is related to the comment made by QFskywalker. Correct if im wrong but there are a countless number of Full timers as well as a casuals that shouldnt be doing this job anymore, due to their laziness as well as their attitude towards the job. Like in any other industry there are the goods and the bads, all mixed in one big metallic bag!!!!
happy flying !!!