PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anzac Day
Thread: Anzac Day
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2007, 09:11
TANTALLON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anzac Day

Cumbrian Fell, I feel you have missed the mark with your comments. I was actively involved with the UK planning of the ANZAC commemorations on the Gallipoli peninsula for 3 years and was very fortunate to attend the 2005 (90th Anniversary) events. I saw no evidence of Aussies or Kiwis drinking to excess or the carnival atmosphere you speak of. What I did see were 20,000 visitors of all ages, the vast majority of whom were Aussies, there to pay homage not just to their dead countrymen but to all those who had fallen, regardless of their nationality or beliefs.
It is also not true to suggest that the contribution of some nations have been "airbrushed out". Throughout the 2-day programme, Services of Remembrance are conducted at the Australian, New Zealand, British, French and Turkish cemetries. In 2005, amongst the thousands who attended these services, were the Australian, New Zealand and Turkish prime ministers. The Prince of Wales represented the British people and it is interesting to note that he received a resounding welcome at Lone Pine. Sadly, the British government seemed to take the Prince's attendance as a get out and only sent a middle ranking minister.
As for Aussie and Kiwi youngsters knowing little about other events, what nation's youngsters do? I would suggest that we should applaud the fact that the youth of Australia and New Zealand make the journey to Gallipoli, which believe me, is no picnic site in April. The largest body of British youth were the sailors from HMS Chatham, who were spendid throughout the 2 days.
For anyone interested in attending the commemorations at Gallipoli itself, let me say that you will find it unforgettable. ANZAC Cove at 0500 on the 25th, as the sun rises and floodlights the scene showing the Turkish, Australian, British and French warships sitting silently in the bay, is a spiritual experience. Although there are thousands banked around the Cove, a natural amphitheatre carved out by the winds and rain, the silence is such that you could hear a butterfly's heart beating.
Ali Barber, you hit the nail my friend - humble is the word.