PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Benalla six dead and $5,000 VOR reward
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2007, 04:20
bushy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only thing that's constant is change.

Funny how things change, and what was taboo becomes good. Airlines that could not possibly accept operation outside controlled airspace all of a sudden find they can operate into Ayers Rock. There's money to be made there.
See and avoid is no good, and proper separation procedures MUST be in place. But the military can operate at night with no radio transmissions and no external lighting. (When I saw that I was tempted to say that I would be too!)
Military aircraft could operate at low level in the same area where I was doing low level survey flying without any notification and no vhf radio transmissions.( I do not think they actually had VHF radios.)
At one time the lane of entry into Melbourne was a couple of miles wide, and 2000 ft high, with a restricted area 1700 ft high at one point, leaving a slot 300 ft high for two way traffic. No TCAS then. No controller. Only see and avoid. Funny, it seemed to work.
The US have parallel ILS's onto parallel runways, and about 100 times the ammount of traffic and they seem to manage.
Probably the scariest thing I saw was scenic flights at Ayers Rock.
One time, in a King Air I made all the right radio calls for departure out of Ayers Rock and on departure found that I was nose to nose with a Boeing. We self separated and when I got back to Alice we replayed the tape and found that the problem was too much yacking on the radio so the system was overloaded and transmissions were often clipped and confusing. Not long after that they took the flight service component out and that reduced the number of transmissions so the system worked much better with merely self separation.
If the airlines do not like class E, lets change it all back to class G.
An interesting thing to do with ADS-B. I took a taxi ride in Adelaide and found the taxis have a system that transmits their GPS position to a central controlling point. It's all automatic. They've had it for many years. But it's whizzbang high technology for us.??????

Quokka
I do not need to ask an RFDS pilot. I was one for about ten years.

Gaunty
Yes. God bless em, and all the others who operate into remote and mining airstrips in the outback, regardless of what type of aeroplane they operate. No need to discriminate.