PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Campaign Medal for Bomber Command?
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2007, 09:27
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Pontious, thank you for your support, it is appreciated. As for a debate, this is it, so if people have a view let's have it here! You illustrate dramatically the truth that, for all the numbers involved, this was a campaign based on quiet individual courage.
Hugh, you take Jacko to task far more effectively than I or any other contributor on this thread can. You put your finger on the nub of the matter when you say; "Do a little more studying, especially what was known about things at that time". It is what is known now about things at that time, or rather not known, by military aviators let alone the general public that concerns me. At least Jacko cares enough to post here. I think his passion clouds his judgement, but better that than nothing. And nothing is what we have from the overwhelming majority!
This thread may be primarily about issuing a campaign medal or bar for the RAF WWII Bombing Offensive against Germany, but it is ultimately about the rehabilitation of that campaign and the brave men who fought it. The limbo in which they have existed since 1945 is an indictment of this nation and their service. Explanations abound as to why this has happened but are really only excuses from the war time and post war generations. It is now for the present practitioners of the art of military aviation to set the record straight.
We now have information that was not available previously, but essentially the facts are straight forward enough. The German tank commander who saw countless numbers of T34s in his visor far outnumbering his own tanks, the American GI fighting for his life on Omaha who at least had the comfort of knowing that any aircraft he heard were ours, were both directly affected by the bombing campaign. If you were unaware of all this, then take Hugh's advice, study! If you are aware then share your thoughts with the rest of us. If you disagree with the point of the thread, then post. Now is the time for this debate, and if those concerned with military aviation have no view, who should?
It is time that this wrong was righted. This campaign was the biggest effort, at the biggest cost, in the history of military aviation. If that isn't reason enough to post on this forum, I can't think what is. So post!