PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not so great news for an 18 year old
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2007, 07:35
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Karl,

I only just read this, as I rarely frequent this forum. We've talked sometimes in the past, and you have my heartfelt sympathy.

Now, as to what you're going to do with your life....

As others have said, forget flying professionally....illegal everywhere, and probably unsafe no matter how well managed your diabetes is. I'm not a medical expert, but I think that's the sad truth. I've heard vaguely about this stem cell stuff, and it may well be a real cure in the future; you're young, so you never know. But don't rely on it.

So, get an NPPL, and then you can fly. So all is not lost aviation-wise. As for what you're going to do career-wise, there ARE other things (honest!). You need to look at WHY you want to be a pilot, basically, deep down. Is it an interest primarily in aircraft and aviation? Become an aeronautical engineer. Is it the excitement? There are other exciting careers. Is it the seeing farflung places? Get involved in the travel and tourism industry. Is it the respect and making lots of money? In that case a law degree, as suggested, and many others, will provide that. And the money will enable you to do lots of flying for fun, when and where you want. Some other reason? Well, there are still alternatives.

I used to be an occupational psychologist, and this is how vocational guidance works; you look at people's basic motivations (and abilities, but I get the feeling you're bright enough to do most things if you really want to), and then find out what's likely to satisfy those, and usually there are lots of alternatives. You just haven't seen them, because you were focusing on being a pilot. Tunnel vision, in a way.

If you read PPRuNe, it may be hard to believe, but there is a whole huge wide world out there, with loads of interesting, satisfying things you can do, and it's yours for the taking. And then you can fly in your spare time, doing the sort of flying YOU want. And believe me, once you're doing it for a living, to a certain extent it becomes "just a job"....OK, only to a certain extent. That won't happen for you.

Trust me, it may not feel like it at the moment, but you'll be fine.