PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Welcome Aboard
Thread: Welcome Aboard
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2007, 21:01
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
I have to say that it is years since I read the report, so things may be a little misty...but, I was under the impression that his state of mind could well have been a contributory factor. Really, that's all that is needed, to conclude that the thread's captain should certainly not have flown.

Let me tell you a story.

I recall many yeas ago, standing at the nose of my HP7 at Rotterdam, while my passengers were trailing across the tarmac to board. A light aircraft started to buzz the tower...and anything else it could see that looked fair game.

I like low flying, and I was certainly not an old fuddy-duddy, but this was taking the pi##. I stood near the GPU and stared right into his cockpit as he flew a foot or so off the ground...STRAIGHT AT ME. I was one not to back away from confrontation in those days and I stood my ground. Well, that was until I ducked. The captain behind me said that he thought it would take my aerials off the roof...and indeed the roof of the main building.

This is one of the few times in my aviation career when folk have seen me really annoyed. I was very fit in those days and ran to the building and up the stairs to the flight-planning place. I bellowed in such a way that made the armed guards look startled. The gist of my bellowing was "Isn't anyone going to stop this?!!!!"

God knows where he landed cos the tearful and distraught young pilot beat me back to my aircraft. It seemed that when they got a new aircraft delivered at the flying school, they ‘Christened it' in this manner. He was concerned about his career. LOL. I told him that in my country he would go to jail.

There was a bit of inter politicking between our flight inspector and the Dutch, and I left them with the diagrams and report I submitted. All done on a ‘keep it friendly' basis. Okay with me.

Anyway, despite regular very demanding work-outs, this episode left me strangely depleted. I was going up against some seriously good judo opponents about that time, and working very hard at it, yet after take-off I felt unwell. My chest felt constricted, and the lowering pressure (4.6 diff in that thing) seemed to be having more affect than usual. I briefed my F/O and relaxed. It went away.

The point is that anyone that practices judo will know just how much you have to give. Just what was the difference in this case? There has to be some very counter productive chemistry going on when you loose control of your emotions: an adrenaline rush kick-back perhaps, anyway for a few minutes I should not have been in command of that aircraft.