PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High Viz Jackets - Mandatory at GA Airfields?
Old 8th Apr 2007, 17:10
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the end of the day, you dont have to go there if it upsets you.
How often do we read a comment along those lines on these threads?

PPR and by telephone in advance please - it is our field if you don’t like it go else where .. .. .. yellow jacket, sir, if you don’t like it go away, mode S sir, those the rules, obey them or stay on the ground, after all its our sky .. .. ..

We all seem to forget some of the airports WE own, they are owned by the local authority and we pay the rates, and most at any rate rely on OUR fees and business to survive.

(I would except purely privately owned strips in people’s backyards where I would agree the owner can make up whatever rules he likes, and it WOULD be rude to just drop in).

Take Duxford as one example. I passed by recently (in the winter) nothing going on, three or four aircraft on the ground at most, oh be nice to stop for a coffee. Not on your life PPR sir by ‘phone. Well what about if I land at Cambridge and telephone - we might let you then sir. Now if there was a good reason such as a show going on or it was busy I could understand - sorry sir we are a bit busy today, but do try again etc., but no those the rules. However if you turn up by car you don’t have to PPR first. Bizarre, and its meant to be a museum for aviators.

Same with yellow jackets, if we all complained about them EVERY time the operators might reliase it wasn’t in their interest to apply such bizarre rules. In fact if we all made a point of turning up and NOT putting on our jacket until asked we might make even more impact. I make a point of always doing so and it is surprising how often I am not asked to don said yellow jacket. The one place where they are ahead of even that game is Alderney - they asked me recently not to forget to put on my jacket before I got out the aircraft! Only one aircraft moved the whole time I was on the field - bizarre.