PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How is your performance?
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2007, 14:11
alf5071h

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a champion of error, I agree with the previous replies.
Olendirk ‘… stop learning and when do i begin ruling?”
You never stop learning, but you already have the capability of ruling – ruling yourself to begin with. The foundation of airmanship is discipline, which includes the ability to discipline your thoughts as well as behaviour (thoughts precede action).

By directing attention to specific tasks we are able to reduce error – simple mistakes. Time is a critical issue, when to direct your attention and what to direct it too. Rehearsal of expected events may help – your own self briefing. Create a mental picture of the flight (the departure), identify points of action; these should be tied to other actions, specific events or points i.e. after checklist complete think about …. when passing xxxx ft prepare (check) FMS… etc. These activities can be practiced before flight – write events down, learn from those which were not as good you expected (the power of debriefing – self debrief). In time, quite quickly, these items (personal SOPs) will be remembered.
Memories are stronger if they are made in relation to an event or a situation – it’s why some bad things linger on; learn from them by understanding where the error came from and then move on – recall the good events where things go right – then there will be more good times to enjoy during your flying – that’s ruling.

You don’t like your performance? That a good attitude; you should always aim to improve your performance. Your flying will be more interesting as there will be something new to enjoy every day.
Errors … if you don’t make them, you don’t have the opportunity to learn, learning should be an enjoyment. But learning from error requires effort (proficiency and skill in thought and action - the second aspect of airmanship); – you have taken the first and most important step by acknowledging that you are error prone.