PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOC 1 Group
Thread: AOC 1 Group
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2007, 11:17
mbga9pgf

I think that all of us that go to theatre know the full risks, but there is a subtle but distinct difference beween taking an extreme (calculated) risk to get the job done, as we all do from time to time whilst in the sand pit, as opposed to sacrificing ones life (as a certainty) for a nation that is not even your own. We are not talking about flying our aircraft into another to prevent possible harm to our Monarch or Government institution, we are talking about certain death acting upon information provided to us by a third party.... BIG difference in my opinion.

Would I risk my life to defend friends I had served with, colleagues I have a close bond with? Certainly. Would I crash an aircraft into a third-party target on the whim of an Into? I dont know. But to make comparisons of guys on the front line (squaddies) that yes, risk more than we do, often thanklessly, for their bretheren IS different from the sacrifice suggested. There is no reward in this instance for sacrificing all to in effect, act as a human 1000 lb'er.