PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 & R44 blade delamination
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2007, 13:31
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My goodness a speech from CASA.

Their background notes seem to paraphrase what I have heard as the general thoughts on the subject, except to add that the eroded away bond line gap, between skin and spar, which may be up to a millimetre in width may have allowed a circular erosion especially in dusty conditions upon the leading edge of the already very thin skin, thus reducing its thickness.

From there I guess there would have to be further eroding of the bond material into the gap in front of the leading edge of the skin, extending to under the skin, to allow a wind gap and a now flimsy knife edge skin to be pushed into the airflow.

Far fetched? maybe. Seeable upon preflight? it should be.

Problem is there is 3000 sets of blades out there built the same way.

There is also a small number of cowboys out there who think that these blades are stronger and better and therefore will last longer than dash 2 blades.
Yep, we may read about them.

I believe that a mod has been done to 'tighten' the gap between the skin and spar and to allow for the leading edge of the skin to be pressed down further into a groove in the spar.

There was an inspection done 'by order' from ATSB before these blades left the country. I believe that ATSB have communicated, as one might expect, with NTSB, FAA and RHC. Stand by for another AD or SB.

WD40? cannot find anyone to support that idea, come to think of it why did we do it way back when, other than it being a 'practice' of tradition.
Just a soap and water wash down should have been sufficient each day.

Blade tape has been suggested, that is certainly my preference after re-painting, if required. I would favor a two piece kit such as we used to run on the 47's.

Of course no solvents allowed for cleaning gum off after the blade tape removal. I hear that eucalyptus oil will do the trick.

Also there has been some suggestion of using a harder two part marine primer.