PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All recruitment at SAA on hold (The world according to JetNut thread)
Old 1st Apr 2007, 18:14
Sir Osis of the river

Well said Nugs

Toobadhowsad,

I have to agree with Nugs on this one. I personally think the Kempton park flying club pays it's pilots too much and this is surely a burden on the company, (note the company, not the tax-payer). However, the unions have worked for many, many years to achieve these salaries and they will have to decided if it is in their interest to reduce them in order to save the company from a untimely demise, (al-a Swissair, Sabena, Varig to name but a few) or to force the company to go hat in hand to the government, (Read TAXPAYER), for yet ANOTHER bailout. Because it is the taxpayer who provides the bailout!!

I notice you said that the union has offered to reduce entry level salaries. What would this achieve when they are not hiring?? (No body at the entry level, nothing to reduce .Surely trimming a little fat from the upper echelons would serve more purpose. This would have to apply to the oxygen thieves and jam stealers as well as airframe drivers.

Should SAA ever truly become a private, profit driven organisation,( I think there will be many unhappy campers in the pilot ranks. F/o and Cpts.