PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - flying through cb(s)
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2007, 09:26
alexban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eyes won't help you a lot when flying through a CB--you won't be able to see anything clear in the cockpit due to turbulance
You should never fly through a cb with an airliner...at cruise it's maybe easier to avoid them as you can plan well ahead. During take-off or landing it may be harder to avoid,but at least you can try to avoid the center of the TS,delay your take-off or hold untill the CB pass the field.
Most of the CB's are moving fast..remember once getting the ATIS with CAVOK (perfect) ,and next one,in about 20 min was +TS (heavy thunderstorm) , so we just reduced speed at min ,and in about 15 min the weather was ok again.
About Cb encouter ,well, i've had once a faulty radar,I think ,cause it didn't show a thing ,while we were experiencing severe turbulance ,with vertical speeds ranging from -2000 feet/min to +1500 feet/min (we were descending in clouds ).A lot of lightning around the plane ,also static on the windshields...I've had bruises from the seatbelts that time.
Ans one friend of mine lost in a blink 7000 feet while trying to pass bellow a high base CB in Africa ,at around FL100.
So,they are not something to mess around with,no matter what gizmos you have on board.