PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA Pilot Shortage
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2007, 20:00
Farrell
The Cooler King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foreign language speaking FIs are not as valuable as they once used to be.

Due to the new ICAO English Language Proficiency Regulations, all ICAO countries are required to have aircrew, ATC and Aviation Operatives that can speak English to a minimum of 'ICAO Level 4 - Operational'.

If you want to have a UK RT licence, you will need to reach 'Level 6 - Expert'. This is the level that China is aiming for at this time and they are making great progress thanks to them taking the initiative and hiring in Aviation English experts for training purposes.

I have been in a position to advise Asian and Indian flight students about this requirement and it is changing how they make their choices for training.

Sponsored cadets are now being tested for this requirement by numerous airlines in Asia and my advice to any of you planning to take either route is to invest three to six months of your time in improving your language skills, otherwise you may find yourself with a shiny new airline transport pilot's licence and not enough English language radiotelephony skills to be employed by anyone.

Also remember that there is an English Language Level requirement for a flight training visa in the US.....check your I-20 form and you will see it. It says something like "Does the student fulfil the English language requirements for this course?".

Your school may put "yes" on the form, but if the Border Patrol guy has any doubts, he'll refer your visa application. Remember, even though you have an M1 in your passport and arrive at the US port of entry - you can still be turned away or reffered to the Immigration Officials at Passport Control if there are any doubts as to your ability to communicate.

My advice - do it correctly. Get proficient in English, you will be better at understanding the 'big picture' at airports and you'll be adding to the safety of yourself and others - and as a pilot who has shared the skies of Florida with groups of sponsored students with deplorable levels of Aviation English, you'll be making life easier for us all.

It's at the critical points where it really counts. For example, an aborted takeoff of a G5 in Florida; foreign student pilot on final is told "Go around" by the tower.

The response. "Ground, go ahead"

Last edited by Farrell; 30th Mar 2007 at 00:00.