PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High Viz Jackets - Mandatory at GA Airfields?
Old 29th Mar 2007, 11:24
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Dean
do'nt really see what the problem is..are we really debating why its better not do wear hi viz just because we never did so before...??
why is it a big deal to see and be seen.
This isn't about being Ludite and resisting a safety improvement. It is about introducing rules for rules sake which don't improve safety.
Remember the Hi Viz is not there for pilot's to see you. It is for ground vehicles, which are moving much faster, quieter and in more random directions to see you!

I would be very interested in any incidents where an aircraft has hit/or come close to a person where Hi Viz would have made a difference.

There are many incidents of people and aircraft coming in contact. Many of them the aircraft is motionless and people walk into the wing, propeller, jet intake. Some of them the airplane is moving with no pilot (hand propped plane gets away) some of them the pilot thinks the marshaller has moved out of the way and he hasn't.

I suspect if you looked at near misses, accidents and illnesses at airfields w/o extensive ground handling infrastructure you would see the following risks
  1. Danger of bashing oneself on the wings when walking around stationary aircraft
  2. Danger of walking into a spinning prop
  3. Danger of accidentally starting the engine and causing injury with prop
  4. Danger of being hit by a car in the parking lot
  5. Danger of running over your foot while pushing or pulling your aircraft
  6. Danger of pollution/allergic reaction from spilling avgas on hands and ground
  7. Danger of Avgas fire
Danger of being run down by the crash truck or inspection truck should be very low. Unless glasses have not been issued to the drivers!

REAL safety improvements should be implemented, but I don't see which material risk the hi vis protects. Mandating the use of the filter fuel samplers and gloves so people don't spill on themselves and don't poor the stuff on the ground would be a much more useful spend of £10.