PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UL Cadet discremination
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2007, 15:07
hpcock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am amazed that some of you think that one has to proficient in English to be a competent pilot. .
Are you for real?

The last time I transmitted, I was sure that English was the medium of communication.

Granted, there are some people who have difficulty comprehending & transmitting in English, but surely there has to be some sort of rectification before jumping into the flight deck - usually the responsibility of a good aviation authority. Evidently not Sri Lankan's. Communication is such a pivotal part of the process in flying an a/c. Remember when your instructor told you to "Aviate, Navigate & Communicate."

Look guys, this is a thread on an issue relating to Sri Lankan Airlines, and the Sri Lankan pilots there are guys who study English as a second language in school
I think you've somewhat missed the point - Sure, this is a thread relating to SL pilots, but some of the more competant posters have merely highlighted the childish behaviour amongst some of the airlines cadets. Besides only 2 posters have mentioned the standard of English on this thread so far.

English is referred to as 'kaduwa' (sword) in Sri Lanka because all too often it is used by the mediocre with a good command of the language to cut down those of ability who did not have the good fortune to study this rather useful legacy of colonial subjugation.
Evidently the "Kaduwa" needs a bit of sharpening before being used in anger by some of the posters. The below is en excert from a dictionary giving the explanation of mediocre:

"of only ordinary or moderate quality; barely adequate."

"poor and not of a good standard"

Kind of sums up the standard of Sri Lankan's pilots & the state of aviation over there.

HPC

Last edited by hpcock; 28th Mar 2007 at 15:33.