PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too Fat to Fight!
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2007, 08:20
Mad_Mark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the MoD think that Bloggs the techie should routinely pick up a rifle and man a sangar
Due to the lack of man power, that is a reality unfortunately.
Due to the lack of manpower in the RAF, if Bloggs the Techie had to do that you would have no AT, SH, CAS or ISTAR assets in theatre right now. They tried to get Bloggs the Techie and some of his mates to do just such in Basrah but, fortunately, common sense prevailed and it was realised that they were more vitally employed doing their own job, i.e. getting frames into the air.

And please do not go comparing a Lynx, Sea King, Merlin or even an Apache to the far more complex aircraft that make up the majority of the RAF inventory.

I do not slag off our green or dark blue brethren for carrying out their role in the military their own way, as I do not pretend to think I know how they should operate. Likewise I do not expect those same people to try to dictate to us how we should carry out our roles. We all have a part to play in the big picture and we all have our own ways and needs to play that part.

The sooner it is understood that it is a tiny minority of RAF personnel that fail the RAFT and that the majority in here are not complaining of about the test but are discussing the alleged plans to introduce compulsory PT sessions during the working day (or were until WG - who obviously has no real life, girlfriend, wife or family - started acting like a 13 year old girl with his bitch-fest). It is simply being pointed out that, unlike our Army brethren (who's primary job it is to be on the ground on the front line and so PT is a part of their normal days routine), many in the RAF have full shifts doing extremely technical work and, unless in the Rocks, do not need to be infantrymen. If I wanted to be an infantryman I would have joined the Army. If I wanted to go to sea I would have joined the RN. I wanted to fly hi-tech military aircraft and therefore I joined the RAF. Horses for courses.

MadMark!!!