PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High Viz Jackets - Mandatory at GA Airfields?
Old 27th Mar 2007, 07:52
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Vis rubbish

For over 10 years working on the ramp at LHR I had no problem and then came the HI-vis vest, the day it was mandated I put one on for the first time.

I remember the day it was 0500 at JSY and I was only saved from being run down by a newspaper van by the quick actions of another crewmember.

I can't understand how the magic vest did not protect me from the van? after all if they are mandated by the CAA and the HSE the vest must be a very good bit of kit.

The big problem is that Health and Safety officers are only in the job because they can't do a real job and are put in post usualy to get them into a position in which they can't do to much harm.
Unfortunatly this social employment program as the idiots with the title of H&S officer can mandate this sort of rubbish.

I can't help thinking of a recent train crash , the H&S people made the site manager fill out a 22 page risk assesment, and yet at no place in this document did it say "do up the bolts on the rails".