PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too Fat to Fight!
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2007, 11:47
Wader2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be the Last
Wader 2,

The reality is that we need the deploying troops to be as fit as possible. By increasing specific types of PT we can offset the physical damge that will be sustained when carrying out ops.

Stop bleating and get down the gym, and take some of your men/women with you.
I take exception to your last para. First, I do not have to go down to the Gym. I have been age exempt for a good many years.

Secondly I actually had a gym installed but it is very small and there are no showers or toilets. Provided the facilities are acceptable for this new regime then there will be time for them to be used but if they are required to use other facilties such as sports pitches, courts and gymnasia then it would cost about 7-8 hrs per person per week as they would have to travel to their parent station.

Your other statement:

However, trying to get support from the lords and masters on a frontline unit is nigh on impossible.

If it means that flying units don't fly for a couple of hours each week, then so be it.
Is absolutely crucial to the result. All the support units must be available for the activity. The loss of time would not be a couple of hours per week but more like 3 half or quarter days.

As flying is dependent on weather, aircraft availability etc and is our primary job then it would need a sea change to alter this.

Moreover on OCUs every trip is planned and there is a planned output date. Start adding in an exercise regime and the output date will shoot to the right. Also imagine Monday morning sport - weather gin clear - no flying. Tuesday dog**** - black flag but no sport organised - etc etc