PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too Fat to Fight!
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2007, 19:44
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Puken
Or will it be the usual dull-as-ditchwater circuits session/trotting up and down a gym/plodding round a sports pitch requiring half the level of effort?
My point. How do you manage 2000 individuals doing exercise 3 times per week? Allowing for duties such as Orderly Sgt, watch keeping, shift workers, workers working out of hours, such as cooks and chefs? How do you provide sufficient facilities for 200-300 people at a time?

Let us assume a batch of 200 people at one hour per session and 3 sessions per week, that immediately amounts to 30 session hours per week.

On top of that you will have to provide shower and changing facilities for twice that many simply to allow for the change-over between A-shift and B-shift.

6000 showers in a week, say 1500 per day, 5 minutes each (blokes not birds). Just watch the water bill.

Did anyone spot Edward Leigh, Chairman of the House of Commons Public Accounts Committee?

<<The report said the MoD "faces many, often conflicting demands on its resources".

It continued: "Despite these budgetary pressures, other parts of the MoD have injected an additional £45 million to carry out estate work at short notice, including fire safety systems, sports facilities and toilet and shower facilities."

The MoD also set aside £4,000 to invest in a polo pitch at Buckley Barracks, Wilts, but the money was never spent.

The report said that in the same year that the money was spent on sports facilities, the MoD had to find savings of £15 million "largely through the deferrals in planned maintenance and repair".

Edward Leigh, the chairman of the Commons public accounts committee, which oversees the NAO's work, said: "While roofs were left to leak, money had been found for sports pitches. I am left wondering if resources are being targeted in the right way.>>

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...23/narmy23.xml

The question I am asking, and I am not anti-sport as I have even acquired a mini-gym, alas no showers or toilets, is just how is it to work, how is it to be done and how the facilities are to be provided?

Anyone that thinks 3x50 minutes is equating to 2 hr 30 min is dreaming.

The criteria is 50 minutes of physical activity - to this can be added 10 minutes to get to the facility and change and 20 minutes minimum to return. There will then be a further 20-30 minutes recovery period (ie people disinclined to work until they have stopped sweating, perspiring or glowing, depending on rank and sex.

I am awaiting an official answer.