PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 & R44 blade delamination
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2007, 12:00
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ericferrit
if you have access to the link provided by 'bellytank' you'll also be able to access the other SL mentioned from the RHC site. There does not appear to be much variation in those notes from the MM. Merely tap test the bonded areas of the skin and do the old ten power trick up and down the bond lines.

Helicopspeeder
we sure as hell share your frustations and the more heat the better I feel.

With regard to "John eacott's" notes I would say that there is ample evidence that the honeycomb was short by a substantial amount on the leading edge row.

This must have meant that the skin was allowed to flex ad-infinitum at that point thus setting up a fatigue cracking action upon the bonded section. I don't think it would have mattered whether it was properly bonded onto the spar or not.

The lack of honeycomb support meant that the bond was going to come away sooner or later. There was plenty of time for the later bit as the blade has 1600 hours remaining!

Maybe the repainting will push the pressure and vibratory characteristics of the prevailing relative wind further forward, until it wears down yet again.

If, that retards the cracking action and protects the skin, then it is a good investment. but to be relying on such a flimsy safegard is as you say a moumental indictment of sloppy engineering and safety principles.

1) the quality control should have ensured that the honeycomb was ALL the way to the leading edge, a very simple task one might say, and

2) the stainless steel is gong to have to be treated so that it will bond 100% of the intended areas, no less.

Grounding, or attempting to ground the A/C is sure as hell gonna kick up a stink.