PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swanwick Skygods
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2007, 07:17
ATSA_Grunt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a Swanwick ATSA, I'll put my tuppence in as well then!

Firstly, the ATSA role has been de-skilled to such an extent that a lot of the time the ATSA is reading the paper in between loading strips. But, this is not there fault! Am sure if all AC ATSAs were asked they would prefer to be of more use and would gladly relish the prospect of being more engaged and having more tasks to perform. They enjoyed the West Drayton days when they felt they performed a valuable and useful task.

But what are they going to do? They are in a money rut. They all have mortgages and bills. What else can they do with the experience they have elsewhere? Most are middle aged and re-training and embarking on an alternative career is a non starter. Its a real shame that NATS still makes it almost as hard for an ATSA to progress to being a NATS ATCO as it is for someone from the outside! After all they have a wealth of experience and knowledge that is underused and un-tapped!

My second point is that I can see the ATCO perspective as well. You're an ATCO working your nuts off (well some of the time!!), and the person sitting next to you is reading the paper and being payed around 30k for it! But, trust me, they would swap that paper for some job satisfaction and a feeling of being needed.

One last point, when NAS fails or theres a shutdown, I don't beleive any of these dissenting ATCOs mentioned (and it really is a small minority) would prefer to be there without them!

Things have moved on a lot over the years, and the class system has virtually been eroded, but there will always be one or two that think they are awesome! (maybe they are!). Just remember some ATSAs are married with children and the potential prospect of being without a job and career at the midpoint of your life can be a worrying prospect.

So, you're entitled to your opinion just as I, and everybody else is. Maybe be a bit more thoughtful about when and where you express it.....