PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female BA pilot wins legal battle for right to work part-time
Old 24th Mar 2007, 14:03
52049er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I despair every time I hear people bleating on about doing this job for the love of it. It is NOT the same as serving your country in the forces. It is NOT the same as helping street kids in Africa - it is paid employment for profit making (ish) organisations.

Every time we go on about doing it for the love of it, our bosses smile into another glass of champagne. They love the fact that we are committed, cos that means we will do it for less. It means they can screw around with our home lives just that little bit more and squeeze a little extra work out of us to help their bonuses.

My family comes first, middle and last. My company comes just where it should - exactly where my contract of employment puts it. No more, no less. I give my career 100% of the attention it needs and deserves and expect the same back from my company. If I am entitled to part time by law (as every other employee of every other company is) I will take it if I want to.

Next person to talk about 'dedication', 'commitment' or the 'sacrifices' we all should make - please remember that's taking money out of my pocket and putting it into my boss'. Do you really think that your company will thank you for your single minded 'my-job-is-so-important-blah-blah' dedication when they lose money and sack you? For gods sake IT'S ONLY A JOB and she is only an employee with a right to have time off to bring up her child if she wants it