PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft suggestion
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2007, 11:07
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing. And even further, if you go the PFA route (half the cost remember, but it does require you to build the thing yourself) you could for instance get a Europa. The default engine for the Europa and a lot of other kitbuild aircraft is the Rotax 912/914 which has carbs, but there are some rumours about a fuel-injection system, either as factory default or an aftermarket option. Anyway, the Rotax 912, depending on the setup, does not necessarily need a traditional carb heat system. You either use warm, under-cowling air for the intake, or you can use an aftermarket kit made by Skydrive (I think) which uses the coolant to heat the carb bodies themselves. This doesn't technically prevent carb ice, but prevents the carb ice from sticking.

But I've also seen a picture of a prototype diesel engine which is deliberately designed to have a form factor equal to the Rotax 912. Even the air intakes and various cable connections are in the same place. Don't remember the name but it sounded like vulcan-something.