PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swanwick Skygods
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 14:35
Jerricho
Ohcirrej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hermano, my brother and I both started out ATC careers as assistants in Brisbane Centre (the position was known as ADSO - Airways Data Systems Officer). There was a noticable "us and them" between the groups there as well. I used to put it down to the fact that more than a few in the assistant ranks were failed controllers, a couple of frustrated pilots and one or two who were there for the cash (it was a pretty good paying job for what was done). The duties were a little different to those of a NATS ATSA (man, I hated that AFTN printer). The derisory comments were always there (strip-monkey, dogs-body, f***ing lazy ADSOs), as was the rudeness. Our position was then hearded out into a room as it's own little entity, which made matters worse.

Before I joined, I believe the system used to be that many controllers in the seats started as either Flight Service or ADSOs, and progressed onwards through a cadetship. Maybe that's where the disconnect came in........suddenly it became a job that some viewed as below them now they had a licence.