PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Open skies is a done deal....
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 13:52
Whalerider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danger Competition - But Not In My Back Yard

The above is, in my opinion, the views of U.S. authorities.
I notice on this forum most seem to think Open Skies a great deal. I have to say I strongly disagree !
Let us look at some historical aspects. In the past Pan-Am, TWA and Delta all operated intra European routes from a base at Frankfurt using 727s. Indeed in the 1980s the cheapest flights from LHR to FRA was on one of those U.S. carriers. Now, during that time were any European carriers permitted to operate within North America ? NO - not even from say New York to Toronto ! Do you think that with Open Skies that route will new be able to be operated by European carriers ? - NO
From LGW there are currently two UK carriers operating scheduled services to the U.S., (BA and Virgin) - yet from the same airport there are presently FIVE U.S. carriers (American, Continental, Delta, Northwest, US Awys) operating such services.

Looking at freight there is a virtual freedom of such services allowed to operate through Anchorage - EXCEPT for UK carriers ! Why ? Well from memory, this was a result of FedEx throwing its toys out of the pram when, about a decade ago it was refused permission by the UK authorities to have freedom to launch whatever services it wanted from Stansted.
Even though no UK freight carrier was allowed by the U.S. authorities to operate similar services, the UK compromised and said that FedEx could have freedom to launch whatever flights it wanted from Prestwick - where it already operated a daily service. The response from FedEx ? It pulled out of Prestwick completely as a protest - obviously hoping it could get its own way - and complained to U.S. authorities - hence the current restrictions on UK carriers operating through Anchorage.
No - I have to disagree with the bulk of posters so far - I think this open Skies will be a very bad move for Europe - though I hope I am proved wrong.
The U.S. has always been for competition - as long as it is not in its own back yard. Nothing I have seen convinces me of anything to the contrary.

Remember the years that Concorde was banned from the U.S. - if there was a Boeing supersonic transport available at the time do you really think this would have happened ?
As I say - I hope I am proved wrong - but history tells me otherwise !