PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zero flight time ATPL
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2001, 00:28
Lee Dingedge

Post Zero flight time ATPL

Zero flight-time ATPL. Several European airlines are applying to the JAA for direct entry commercial pilots. They argue that it is pointless doing c200 hours on singles and twin props just to get an ATPL and then never fly them again, and they have a point. They argue that it is quite feasible to go straight on to a B737 or A320 simulator and learn on the kind of aeroplane on which the the pilot will spend his flying career. The quality of simulation now is such that effects of controls, stalls and I/F can just as well be taught on a modern sim as on a Cessna or Piper. It is further argued that modern aircraft are so well protected against mis-handling, that mis-handling practice is virtually redundant.

There would still be a need for the theory exams, but they will exclude all mention of propeller theory etc.

I think it will happen, especially as the forecast pilot shortage will make the whole concept very attractive to the airlines and they will push their Authorities into trial programs. Very soon, I think.