PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Angry Post
Thread: Angry Post
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 07:46
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 206 Likes on 73 Posts
Gulp. £90k in unsecured debt, 25 and never had a proper job!

Interesting how times have changed. When I finished a university degree in 1996 I owed £4,000 and paid that off in the first year by getting a dull desk job vaguely related to my degree.

I then got a slightly better job, lived at home and saved like mad on £15k. I started the ATPL study course via distance learning to fill my evenings and weekends (what joy). After two years I had saved £14k. I borrowed another £8k off my parents and that was enough to get the a Frzn ATPL CPL and FI rating.

Another couple of years of instructing and saving and I had a Multi CPL/IR Frzn ATPL and 1000hrs TT and could just about pay back my parents.
And I used to worry about my debts and my low pay!

You just couldn't have got the levels of debt you are talking about back then. And we are talking the mid to late 90's and 2000...

At no time did I owe more than £10k and I was in continuous employment of one kind or another from the week after finishing Uni... Save, spend, Save, spend for 4 years... But never paid hardly a penny in interest.

If you can find a way of avoiding such punishing debt then its worth seriously considering. Even if it means taking a lot longer to get qualified.

Good luck,