PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would people pay more to train with an expert?
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 13:21
moosp

Cool as a moosp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another one from the coal face which relates to this thread.

Today I spoke with one of the training/test pilots of one of the major helicopter manufacturers. I told him that I was going to travel to Australia to do some refresher and emergency type training on his manufacturer's turbine single. He said, "Why do you not fly with us, we can offer a full day refresher training, ground school and 1.5 in the air for x$. Is price your problem?"

True, the manufacturers refresher costs more than a flight school in Aus. (A school that I am very satisfied with.) But it did make me think, would I get better value for money by paying more and having a flight test pilot teach me, or would a very good instructor at a good school be sufficient?

I fly often with private pilots who do not consider cost anywhere in their decisions on flying. They want the best, and they will pay for it. They do their PPL on an R44 (like Frank wants) or a turbine. I truly believe that there is a developing market for both ab-intio "boutique" schools for those that have the money and want to say (viz Whirly) " been to Oxbridge" and advanced training from famous instructors.

Come on guys, what would you pay for an hour with Nick Lappos?