PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind Checks ?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 08:27
Deano777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuck

Nobody said you were doing it wrong, hence the "whatever floats your boat" comment, so don't put words into my mouth, it is a matter of preference, and probably one that is not taught here in the UK, but as you are being pedantic how about this for sudden:-
Scenario, windy day, gusting as well, you are on finals (obviously), you are bouncing around quite considerably, you cross the fence, get down to 100ft, 80ft, 70ft, then WINDSHEER, I have just lost 15kts IAS, I am now something that resembles a brick, and earthbound we are going, apply FULL power quick, phew, just avoided striking the ground. yes that happened to me once a few years ago approaching a small GA airfield in the Midlands, now if you can enlighten me as to what is not sudden about that then I'd be gratified.

The bottom line is, why wait until you are in the flare before applying max RPM? the increase in RPM when you put it forward at a low MAP setting has a negligible effect on your aeroplane anyway, so why not include it in your "REDS BLUES 3 GREENS" check on finals, I just can't see any issues with doing it this way, but I can see "potential" problems doing it when you are in the flare, and personally, and it is personally I think that is a ridiculous time to be applying it, whether you are in the go around or not