PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind Checks ?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 01:02
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
" the last thing you want to be doing in a sudden go around is faffing about with the props as well as the MAP, but, as they say, whatever floats your boat."

I don't mind discussing these issues with private pilots so lets take it a step further.

What is a " sudden " go around? I can't imagine a situation where a go around would be " sudden " unless you fell asleep during the appproach and when you awoke everything looked sudden.

An airplane flies an approach at a given speed and attitude, a sudden application of power will not change the inertia of the airplane in a split second and sudden application of power will result in a prop surge in RPM as the governor struggles to govern the RPM with the sudden increase of power. There is no logical reason why a pilot can not smoothly move both the prop pitch control and the power control and go from approach power to climb power as you pitch up from the approach attitude to the climbing attitude.

I don't " flaff around with the power levers, I move them smoothly to the position that is needed for the power I want.

I'm not sure what you mean by " whatever floats your boat "

I am in the advanced flight training business and that is what I teach all my students, so far none have refused to be taught that method of power changes and most of my students are very high time pilots.

So I'm willing to discuss this I have outlined my thoughts, can you outline your thoughts and convince me I am doing it wrong?

Last edited by Chuck Ellsworth; 22nd Mar 2007 at 01:35.