PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Renewing SA Licence for expats - new development
Old 20th Mar 2007, 10:02
4HolerPoler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoop Renewing SA Licence for expats - new development

I thought I'd pass on my experience this week in trying to renew my SA ATPL using a foreign renewal process. I've been doing this since the mid-90's and the goal-posts have moved on occasion & they've just shifted again so here's the latest. Hey, that's the CAA's perogative but forewarned is forearmed and will reduce your frustration.

I recently did an FAA renewal Proficiency Check on an airline-type aircraft. This check and the Class One medical certificate that I submitted is sufficient to the FAA for the renewal of my US licence. The training requirements pertaining to the training and checking received are all covered under Part 61 of the US FAR’s and the requirements for the FAA certified doctor are obviously laid out to him in his regulations.

It was previously my understanding (and experience) that as a SA expat resident and working abroad, that I could renew my SA licence using acceptable foreign renewals but that if I ever wanted to use my SA licence again that I would need to do a Proficiency Check using a SA DE and conduct a full SA medical. This is no longer the case. I have it on verbal authority from a senior manager at the SA CAA (yesterday) that this renewal now provides a fully usable SA licence. But they've changed the requirements to satisfy that privilege.

Seems like they were quite happy with the Proficiency Check which was conducted by the FAA; my caution relates to the additional medical requirements. The SA CAA require a full audiogram and a comprehensive lung-function test to be submitted in addition to the full doctor's report pursuant to the issue of your FAA Class One medical, as well as the ECG print-out from your ECG test. Without all of that you're not going to get it done.

And don't forget, you need to get all of this to the CAA within two months of conducting your Proficiency Check ride.

There are many SA guys out there who have let their original licences lapse. With additional, new requirements to keep the old licence "ticking over" I guess there's going be a lot of guys saying "screw it, I'll never use it again." I certainly scratch my head & wonder if it's all worth it. But because I'm a SA citizen I can't let it lapse & then apply for a validation of my US or JAA licence when I want to come back one day.

I'd like to emphasize that in my dealings with the CAA this week they have been extremely courteous and polite in the conduct of this bureaucratic process. And let no-one tell me the goal-posts haven't been moving; I have over ten years of first-hand experience.

4HP