PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Canadian Carrier Would You Wanna Fly For?
Old 19th Mar 2007, 08:08
aileron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

i left Canada before WJ existed, and at the time AC were laying off pilots (4th year). i havent been 'interviewed' by either company......
after leaving, although i hadnt flown a jet yet, 4 years later i found myself in the left seat of a 757, Ive been with the same company for ten years and now in the left seat of a 767. the 787's start arriving in Feb 2009.
so what does that make me? i would suggest there are plenty of grown up 'Canadian' pilots throughout the world living the dream. why? because Canada's aviation industry just wasnt up to it, is it now? i dont know i left in 1993.
however when i chat with my buddies back 'home' and they talk about.........militant unions, arbitrations about seniority lists, pilots paying for their own type ratings, airlines going bankrupt, pilots working in costco, over long duty days, threat of strike action, wanting to leave AC because they hate it etc etc, i would suggest that for me it was the right decision to leave. im happy, the family's happy.
i like Canada, i have a house there, we visit. when we do visit its with our eyes wide open. i would suggest that having lived in another part of the world it opens your eyes.
dont knock the guys who've been brave enough to take a risk. you might find it wasnt about the money or because they werent good enough to work for what you perceive as a 'good' company
good luck to all!
PS did i mention the beers better over here!

sorry to get off topic....... i wouldnt work for any of them